Skip To Content
Story of our School

About Our Name

 

Arklan refers to the vicinity immediately east of Carleton Place and includes an island. This island was formerly utilized as a water power site and was first called Bailey's Mills, then Bredin's Mills and later Arklan Mills.

Arklan is derived from the County name. This land was purchased by A. C. Burgess and his brother, G. A. Burgess (who was the mayor of Carleton Place in 1903 and 1921). The name Arklan was given to this property by Burgess.

The McNeely's, who first owned the land for most of the twentieth century, maintained the name Arklan. Those of us who have grown up in Carleton Place know of this location as simply the Arklan Farm.

The name Arklan was submitted by the "New School Committee" by the Carleton Place and Beckwith representatives on this committee. It was endorsed by the Lanark County Board of Education. "Community" was added to the name Arklan to denote the partnership that exists at this school.

School

As our name implies, Arklan Community Public School is a community facility and not just an educational facility.



Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.